Saturday, January 14, 2012

Name Change Stuff

I have officially changed my name!

Going to the Social Security Administration was easy - I was even helped by a LeTourneau alumnus!

After going to the SSA, I went to the Department of Public Transportation (the DMV of Texas) and was very excited to see no line.  When I walked in, there were a bunch of people sitting in a side room (they looked young, mostly - I was thinking, "Driver's ed class?") and a few people standing on the wall, but there was NO LINE.  I went to the people standing and asked if they were in line.  I heard, "no" several times, and finally asked someone, "Where's the line?"  They pointed to the empty space.

Now, if anyone knows anything about me, you know that I have no qualms about standing up in front of a group and speaking, and this case was no different.  I jumped in the line and addressed everyone in the room, "THERE'S NO LINE!  I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!  THIS IS AWESOME!  I'VE COME HERE SEVERAL TIMES, AND THERE'S ALWAYS BEEN A LINE, BUT THERE'S NO LINE!"  Some people, I saw, were snickering behind their hands, and others were smiling.  Another lady got in line behind me, and we started chatting about weddings (she was recently married as well) and name-change stuff.  While we were chatting, another lady, smiling, came up to me and said, "You stand in line and get a number.  Then you go sit down."  She was still smiling.  I looked at the room that had standing room only, and I said, "You're joking, right?"  She shook her head, still smiling.  "You're serious?"  She nodded, still smiling.

It was 1:30.  I had less than an hour before my chiropractor's appointment.  I asked her, "How long have you been here?"  Her response:

"11:30."

I said, "Oooh no!  I can't wait here that long!  I have a doctor's appointment in less than an hour!  I can't do this today!  I've gotta go!"  People were openly laughing by the time I left.

Yeah, I went back the next day and the line was shorter - I only spent an hour and a half in line, instead of 2+ hours.  But it was done, and the change is official :)

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment